It is such an amazing feeling to receive flowers from friends or loved ones. They look good and beautiful. They also bring along memories of the occasion or the person who gave it to us. We want to keep them forever. However, flowers wilt and dry up. It would be such a waste to throw them away but what can we do?
We can give flowers a new life by turning them into beautiful potpourri! Potpourri is said to have originated from France where flowers and spices are used as room fragrances. Potpourri is a bowl of dried flowers, herbs, oils and spices that is used as a natural freshener. It is usually placed in open containers or bowls to spread the fragrance easily and effectively.
The natural scent of the dried flowers is enhanced and prolonged by using essential oils or fragrance oils. Potpourri can be used for up to two years depending on the quality of the oil used. The good thing about potpourri is it can be a decorative item as well.
Follow these simple steps to make homemade potpourri with fragrance oil.
1. Prepare the things that you will need for the potpourri. They are the flowers, sheet pan, parchment paper, scissors, a spray bottle, and fragrance oil. We recommend Lick Me All Over, Eat It Raw or Baby Powder Fragrance Oil to freshen up your room.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. While waiting, gather the flowers. Any kind of flower can be used, especially those with strong scents. Different sizes of petals can be used too.
3. Use parchment paper to cover the sheet pan. You can either cut the flowers from the stem or remove individual petals. Place the cut flowers or petals on the sheet pan covered with parchment paper.
4. Combine 10 to 15 drops of fragrance oil to one tablespoon of water in a small spray bottle. Shake well and spray on the flowers and petals.
5. Place the pan in the oven and bake for at least two hours or until the flowers are brittle but not burnt.
6. When the potpourri is done, remove the pan from the oven and spray it with the fragrance oil mixture again.
7. Transfer the potpourri in a bowl and gently mix. You can use a decorative bowl to make it beautiful. Place the bowl anywhere you want and it is ready to freshen up your room. If you want to refresh the scent, just spray it with the fragrance oil mixture.
Potpourri can be a perfect gift as well. It’s decorative and freshening and you can add your own personal touch. The best thing about it is it’s all-natural, perfectly safe for you and for the environment.
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter to receive more helpful and interesting tips on staying clean, smelling good and living a happier life!