Frankincense Essential Oil is one of the most popular essential oils because of its many health benefits. It has been used in different cultures since ancient times. Also known as olibanum, frankincense comes from the resin of different varieties of the Boswellia tree, the most common of which are Boswellia carterii, Boswellia frereana, and Boswellia sacra. Boswellia trees are native to the dry, mountainous regions of India, Arabian Peninsula, and Africa.
The Boswellia tree is intentionally wounded. The tree releases resin to protect itself from infections. After ten days, the resin dries up and is ready to be harvested. It is cut into small pieces which are steam-distilled to extract frankincense essential oil. The steam distillation process takes 12 hours for the resin to release all its beneficial molecules.
Frankincense essential oil can be harvested all year round. It is a thin oil. Quality frankincense essential oils are silvery and clear in color with a green tinge. Lower quality oils are brown-yellow in color. The name frankincense originated from an old French phrase, “Fran encens” which means “high-quality incense.” In history, the burning of frankincense was popular for various purposes.
Known as the “King of Essential Oils,” frankincense has a long list of health benefits. The oil contains healing properties such as antiseptic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, sedative, carminative and many more. The main health benefits of frankincense essential oil are building and maintaining a healthy immune system, promoting cellular health, calming and uplifting mood, reducing signs of aging and alleviating stress and anxiety. There are still more promising benefits of frankincense essential oil that different cultures all over the world are taking advantage of.
As a very versatile and multifunctional oil, frankincense essential oil can be used in many different ways to reap its health benefits. Here are some amazing ways of using it.
1. Relieve inflammation, joint, and muscle pain. Frankincense essential oil has strong anti-inflammatory properties as well as sedative and analgesic properties which are great to relieve inflammation and pain. Simply mix with a carrier oil to create a massage oil and massage on the affected areas.
2. Boost the immune system. Because of its ability to kill viruses and bacteria inside the body, frankincense essential oil can help boost the immune system. It is also known to stimulate important body processes to help the body perform at its best. This ability can also help fight colds or flu and other diseases. It is best to use a diffuser to experience these health benefits because the molecules enter the bloodstream faster and in greater concentration when diffused.
3. Clean the kitchen naturally. Frankincense essential oil has great antiseptic properties making it a perfect cleaning agent. It can be used as a natural cleaner by adding 15 to 25 drops to a spray bottle with 2 ounces of water. Shake well and spray on surfaces that you want to disinfect. A few drops of the oil can also be added to a cotton ball. Drop the cotton call at the bottom of a trash bin to disinfect and make it smell good.
4. Soothe and improve allergies and respiratory problems. The decongestant, sedative and stimulant properties of this oil work well in opening up the nasal passages for better breathing and calming down asthma attacks. It speeds up the dissolution of phlegm in the lungs as well. Add a drop of frankincense in steaming water and inhale deeply for a few minutes. To keep all the steam inside, cover the head with a towel. Frankincense can also be mixed with a carrier oil and then rubbed on the chest for easier breathing.
5. Purify the air and improve the mood. Diffusing is the most popular use of frankincense essential oil. Its antibacterial properties can purify the air. Frankincense also has a sweet, woody scent perfect for the home. Using it in aromatherapy also improves the mood and calms the mind and body. The calming and soothing effects reduce stress and anxiety.
There is still a long list of ways to use frankincense essential oils that it seems endless. Using a diffuser is definitely the best way to reap the health benefits of this amazing “King of Essential Oils.”
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter to receive more helpful and interesting tips on staying clean, smelling good and living a happier life!