Frequent hand washing has been given the utmost importance to prevent the spread of different infectious diseases. Our hands touch many surfaces and pick up bacteria and viruses. We don’t notice it but we touch our faces many times a day. Our contaminated hands can transfer viruses to our eyes, nose or mouth and from there, they can enter our body and make us sick.
This is why the World Health Organization (WHO) strongly calls on everyone to wash hands frequently. Washing the hands with soap and water kills viruses that may be on our hands. However, we don’t always have access to soap and water all the time. Health experts recommend the use of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
There has been a high demand for alcohol and hand sanitizers around the world and it will probably be difficult for you to find some that you can use or keep at home. But don’t worry, you can make do with whatever amount of alcohol you have left. There is an easy and natural way to make your own hand sanitizer at home.
THINGS YOU WILL NEED
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 15 drops tea tree essential oil
- 3 ounces high-proof vodka (or rubbing alcohol)
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- squirt bottle
1. Add the lavender, tea tree and Vitamin E oils to a small, clean squirt bottle.
2. Add the alcohol to the oils and swirl well.
3. Shake gently before each use.
HOW TO USE HAND SANITIZER
1. Apply the sanitizer to the palm of one hand.
2. Rub your hands together very well and spread the sanitizer to the entire surface of your hands and all your fingers.
3. Continue rubbing until your hands are dry. It can take at least 60 seconds for the hand sanitizer to effectively kill germs.
ADVANTAGES OF HOMEMADE NATURAL HAND SANITIZER
- This homemade hand sanitizer does not use harmful chemicals.
- The essential oils used in this hand sanitizer are concentrated, powerful plant extracts that have antibacterial, antiviral and antiseptic properties perfect for disinfecting not only your hands but it can also be used on other surfaces as well.
- Vitamin E oil can help soften the hands.
- The combination of Vitamin E and alcohol can help preserve the sanitizer, making it last for several months.
- The scent of lavender essential oil can round out the strong scent of the tea tree oil and also gives a relaxing and calming scent to the hand sanitizer.
This homemade natural hand sanitizer can help keep you safe and reduce the risk of contracting infectious diseases. It is still best to observe important precautionary measures such as proper hygiene, social distancing, and frequent hand washing whenever possible.