Things you will need:
Do you have chapped lips and you don’t know what to do about it?
Chapped lips or cracked lips - they both mean you have dry lips. Chapped lips can cause peeling of the lips and irritated skin that is itchy and red. Some people may suffer from a severe form of chapped lips called cheilitis which can be caused by an infection.
Chapped lips are a common condition for most people. Everyone can get chapped lips especially those people who have dry skin. The skin protecting the lips is much thinner compared to the other parts of our face. The lips also do not have pores so they don’t have sweat glands or oil glands to keep them hydrated. These two conditions make the lips prone to drying out than any other part of the face.
Weather is another factor that can cause chapped lips. Lack of humidity in the air during the winter can cause chapped lips. On the other hand, frequent sun exposure during the summer can worsen the dryness of the lips.
Lack of water in the body or dehydration is a common cause of chapped lips. When we are dehydrated, the natural balance of minerals in the body is disrupted, thus affecting the skin. Many people lick their lips when they are dry, thinking that saliva can moisturize the lips. However, licking the lips will only make them even dryer. When saliva evaporates from the lips, the natural moisture of the lips evaporates too. Saliva is also packed with enzymes for breaking down food and too much saliva can cause the skin on the lips to crack.
For severe cases, fungal or bacterial infections can worsen chapped lips. Cheilitis is an example of an infection that may cause cracked skin at the mouth corners and several cracks on the lips. Ulcers on the lips can also develop because of cheilitis.
Chapped lips can usually be treated with simple treatment and preventive measures. Lip balms are widely popular to treat or prevent chapped lips. A lip balm is a medicated ointment formulated to soothe dry lips. There are various forms of lip balms available in stores such as lip balms in small round tubs, jars, cylinders or twist up tubes like those of lipsticks. Lip balms usually contain beeswax or similar ingredients that form a protective layer over the lips to prevent loss of moisture. Some lip balms today come with SPF for extra protection because sun exposure causes dry lips.
Most lip balms are made with chemicals that may do more harm than good to our lips. It’s always a better idea to make your own lip balm using natural ingredients. Making homemade lip balm is fun, easy and helps you save money.
2. Put the bowl in the microwave oven and melt using 10-second increments until the beeswax is melted.
3. When the beeswax is melted, mix the ingredients well. Be careful because the mixture is hot.
4. After mixing, pour the mixture into the container and allow it to cool for a few hours. You can also put the container in the refrigerator to speed up the cooling process.
5. To apply, simply use your fingers to apply the lip balm on your lips. Apply before you put on lipstick or lipgloss. To keep your lips protected, reapply frequently.
BENEFITS OF USING HOMEMADE COCONUT LIP BALM
1. Beeswax is very moisturizing. It contains natural emulsifiers, which help retain moisture in the skin, which is especially helpful for dry and chapped lips. Beeswax also keeps the lip balm in its form, preventing it from melting.
2. Coconut oil has moisturizing effects ideal for chapped lips. Coconut oil is also considered an emollient. They are non-cosmetic moisturizers that help the skin moist and protects the skin. Coconut oil also is also antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory that can keep the lips germ-free and can help avoid infection and reduce swelling.
3. Vitamin E oil and honey add moisture and minerals for healthier lips.
4. Homemade coconut lip balm can help cracked lips heal faster.
5. Regular use of coconut lip balm can turn thin and dry lips into healthier and moisturized plump lips. Moisturizing your lips every day is a great way to achieve a youthful, supple look.
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter to receive more helpful and interesting tips on staying clean, smelling good and living a happier life!